Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Just a thought...

So sorry I seem to have dropped off the face of the earth. A lot has been going on at the home front, from a basement flood to the dog trashing our living room. Life sure stays interesting around here! ;-)

As the title states, I have a thought for you today, especially for the younger ladies (say, 12-18ish).

Last night, I stopped at Walmart for some staples (i.e. baby food and formula) on my way home from work. After paying for the items, I stopped in the entry area where they keep the carts to cover the baby with her blanket before going outside. I noticed the cart-pusher (for lack of a better title) paused to look at me, so I looked up and gave him a grin as I so often do to random strangers in the store. I figure if they're going to look at me, I might as well give them something nice to look at. Anyway, I gave him a grin and went back to covering the baby, but noted that he had turned and was walking in our direction. When he reached us, he leaned over slightly toward my ear and said in a low voice "it's nice to see a young lady who dresses like she still has some respect for herself" and nodded toward the store. I quickly glanced to see what I was wearing; gray flats, gray pencil skirt, a blue top with lace around the neckline and a black cardigan- appropriate office attire. I laughed and replied 'yes, I'm sure you don't see much of that around here. In fact, we don't see much of that at all anymore, do we?' He grinned and shook his head no, then wished me a good evening and went back to straightening the rows of carts he had just brought in.

As I walked to the car, I thought about the last decade of my life. I've walked on both sides of the proverbial fence and, for a while, tried to walk right on the fence. I wore jeans and cut my hair, and I also dressed and did things with one group of people that I wouldn't dare do with another. It's ironic though, that I always received far more compliments and, to be frank, attention from the opposite sex on the days when I dressed modestly and "appropriately" than I ever did on the days when I wore what society deemed to be fashionable. The kind of attention worth noting, at least. It reminded me of an e-card I found:
 
 
Just something to ponder on this Wednesday afternoon...
 
Until next time,
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment